Monday, April 23, 2012

How to cook for your family on a modest budget.

How many of you meal plan?  How many of you go to the store without a plan? Meal planning is not hard. Put together a list of your families favorite meals.  If you want you can look up some crock pot meals and casseroles as well.(They tend to go a long way so you will have leftovers)  Once you have a list, look at what meats you will need for the recipes. I usually look at 20 recipes so I have a months worth of meals. I go to Costco and buy my meat and then I split it into the meals and I freeze it.  Then I will order a weeks worth of meals at a time. Then I will look at breakfast foods and meals for lunches. If there is room in my budget I will get some chips or cookies. We have the luxury of going to the states to fill up the van, get milk for $2.39 for 4L, cheese for $4.00 and eggs for $1.29 a dozen.
When you take the time to meal plan you will start saving money.

1 comment:

The Neufelds said...

Jonathan thinks we spend less per week but we have 1 less mouth to feed and no teenagers! We also get some free perks once and a while with him working at a grocery store. I like that you order your groceries... I basically do that too... Jonathan is just the delivery man! I don't meal plan a month in advance but I do have a dry erase calendar that I find helpful for meal planning.